Safety net payments are allocated to acute care and children’s hospitals that serve a disproportionate number of Medicaid patients and provide large amounts of uncompensated care. Qualifying acute care hospitals will have:
• Medicare Disproportionate Patient Percentage (DPP) of 20.2% or higher.
• Uncompensated Care (UCC) of at least $25,000 per bed. (For example, a cost report would need to have 100 beds and $2,500,000 in Uncompensated Care to meet this requirement.)
• Profit Margin of 3% or less. Qualifying children’s hospitals will have:
• A Medicaid-only Ratio of 20.2% or greater.
• Profit Margin of 3.0% or less.